Citrix Unveils Secure Gateway Service with Single Sign-On to SaaS, Enterprise & VDI Apps
Last year, Citrix announced the ICA proxy Service, offering a way to provide secure and remote access to Citrix virtualization and app delivery services. This ICA/HDX proxy-as-a-cloud service offered
the promise of providing a gateway solution — as SaaS — to customers looking to adopt cloud-based services.
Most businesses are either moving (or are planning a move) to the cloud. During this transition, they are using a hybrid infrastructure, wherein some workloads continue to run in the datacenter, while some are moved to the cloud. While our first step was to meet these requirements by offering a service that enables this move to the cloud, our next step is to support hybrid environments where hosted web applications, like SharePoint and Outlook, hosted virtual applications, like Citrix XenApp and Citrix XenDesktop, and SaaS applications, like Office 365 and Salesforce, can still be used.
As a means of supporting hybrid infrastructure, Citrix is releasing a cloud service (Citrix Gateway Service or CGS) that provides single sign-on (SSO) to not only Citrix virtualization cloud services, but to any SaaS, web, or Citrix virtualization products deployed on-premises. Using this service, you do not need any additional access management service for your SaaS or web applications. You can now use one SSO service for all your application workloads, deployed on-premises, in the cloud, or delivered as SaaS. Below are some of the key benefits of Citrix Gateway Service.
1. Single Sign-On to hosted web, SaaS and Citrix virtualized applications
Citrix Gateway Service will provide SSO to all applications, whether deployed on-premises, in the cloud, or delivered as SaaS, thereby providing the only access management solution you will need for all applications. Having a single access management solution allows consistent and timely enforcement of security and access control policies.
2. Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) – Support for Azure AD and on-prem
Citrix Gateway Service supports Azure MFA and will provide 2-factor authentication for on-prem support, at the time of this release. The second factor will be a one-time password (OTP) generated and authenticated by the service itself. This means you don’t need a third party infrastructure to provide an OTP-like functionality. Once a user device is enrolled using Citrix’s self-service page, you can use OTP from their smartphones to login and access your applications. Once you log in to the Gateway Service portal, you will see a portal page with icons to applications to which you will have access.
3. Pre-configured application catalogues
For administrators, Citrix Gateway Service will provide out-of-the-box application catalogues. These are pre–configured application templates an admin can use to publish and configure single sign-on. Citrix Gateway Service, for now, supports Azure AD for MFA, as well as on-premises Active Directory for 2-factor authentication using native OTP.
Citrix Gateway Service is ideally suited to address these three use cases:
- Customers looking to refresh on-premises Gateway to support on-premises deployment of Citrix XenApp or Citrix XenDesktop
- Customers using basic ICA proxy can now use CGS for basic ICA proxy to on-premises Citrix XenApp, Citrix XenDesktop
- Customers looking to subscribe to Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop cloud service, Citrix XenApp Service, or Citrix XenDesktop Service
- Customers can now use CGS for SSO to Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop Service, on-premises Citrix XenApp (if using), Citrix XenDesktop (if using), any web and SaaS applications
- Customers looking to consolidate their access management solutions
- Customers using NetScaler for their Citrix XenApp and Citrix XenDesktop solutions/services and that are using a third party cloud service for SSO to SaaS and web applications, can now use NGS for SSO to all applications. They don’t need to have two different access management solutions, thereby reducing cost, providing better end user experience, and enforcing consistent access control policies across all applications.
How do I get access to the Citrix NetScaler Gateway Service trial?
We will offer a 30 day free trial for Citrix Gateway Service. If you are an existing Citrix Cloud customer using Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop Service, Citrix XenApp service or Citrix XenDesktop service, we will notify you of the free trial during Q2, 2018.
If you are not a Citrix Cloud customer, you may sign up for Citrix Cloud here. Once enrolled, please go to the Citrix Gateway Service tile, and click on “Request Trial”.